Are you aware that sleep apnea has more than one form? Sleep apnea is a sleep disorder in which breathing, while you sleep, becomes difficult or hindered. Central sleep apnea is caused by brain signals facilitating breathing that are being sent from your brain not correctly reaching your body. Obstructive sleep apnea is caused by obstructions in your breathing airway. To help keep sleep apnea at bay, understand the following risk factors:
– Normal disorders such as allergies and sinus problems can contribute to the presence of sleep apnea.
– Individuals over the age of 40 are at a higher risk for sleep apnea.
– Genetics can play a huge role in the presence or progress of sleep apnea, especially if you have an abundant family history of it.
– Various genetic predilections can increase your risk for sleep apnea, including an enlarged tongue, oversized tonsils, or even a small-sized jaw relative to your mouth.
– Males are often at the maximum risk for sleep apnea.
– Sleep apnea is often found in individuals who suffer from a deviated septum and other similar forms of nasal blockage or obstructions.
For a diagnosis and treatment options for sleep apnea, please contact Willow Creek Family Dentistry to book an appointment with Dr. Eric Dunn and our team at our dentist office in Oxford, Ohio. Call us at 513-523-7541. Let us help you achieve a healthy smile!